“CLICK” your knitting needles together for this grassroots campaign to help prevent Shaken Baby Syndrome throughout Wisconsin!
What is CLICK for Babies?
CLICK for Babies: Period of PURPLE Crying Caps campaign, is a grassroots, public education campaign sponsored by the National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome to create awareness of the leading trigger for infant abuse: frustration with infant crying. This annual campaign generates awareness of the Period of PURPLE Crying and helps to prevent shaken baby syndrome through educational efforts.
The Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board, Celebrate Children Foundation and several local partners, are organizing this year’s 2017 Wisconsin CLICK for Babies: Period of PURPLE Crying Caps campaign! Now through the month of September, we will be collecting donated knitted/crocheted purple baby caps that will be distributed to new Wisconsin parents alongside the Period of PURPLE Crying educational materials in the months of November and December.
How do I get Involved?
We are actively seeking out community partners, knitters and volunteers to help kick off the Wisconsin campaign! Below are some ways you can participate:
- Knit or crochet purple baby caps (year round collection)
- Host a knit-In
- Cap collection and disbursement
- Cap tagging
- Spread the word through hanging flyers, social media, newsletters and word of mouth
- Donate knitting supplies
- Other volunteer opportunities
- Period of PURPLE Crying Implementers (Dose 1 & 2)
- Partner with the Prevention Board to organize a local CLICK campaign
- Sign up to receive and distribute caps (April -June 2017)
- Distribute caps alongside the PURPLE program in November and December 2017
- Generate local knitting/crocheting volunteers for caps
- Help with cap collection (drop off barrels, provide shipping location, help with transportation)
For more information on how you can get involved, please contact:
Nikki Braconier – CLICK for Babies Campaign Coordinator
What is the Period of PURPLE Crying?
The Period of PURPLE Crying is an evidence-based program describing a NORMAL developmental period of crying in the first few weeks and months of life that ALL babies go through. The Period of PURPLE Crying begins at about 2 weeks of age, peaks in the second month, and becomes less in the third to fifth month. There are other common characteristics of this period, which are better described by the acronym PURPLE.
It is during this period of development, some babies can cry a lot and some far less, but what is important to understand is that ALL babies go through this period. Period of PURPLE Crying aims to help parents and caregivers understand the normal increased crying of health infants and prevent abuse; namely shaken baby syndrome. PURPLE educates new parents on what to expect, ways to soothe their baby and ways to cope with the normal feelings of frustration and anger found during this period of development.
Please visit the Period of PURPLE Crying website for more information.